Farewell to 2010 (Almost)
2010 has been an amazing year for WriterHouse, thanks to our nearly 180 members and dozens of volunteers. Over the past year, with no paid staff and a bare-bones budget, we:
- Held 30 public and member events, including book launches, readings, literary salons, panel discussions, and celebrations of all kinds.
- Taught 175 students in 25 eight-week classes and 5 weekend seminars.
- Provided full-time writing space access for 13 writers and dozens more during open hours.
- Logged 2000+ volunteer hours for open hours, Pavilion fundraising, event planning, and administration of the organization at all levels.
- Hosted NaNoWriMo, in which the 191 Charlottesville region participants wrote 4,771,991 words in 30 days
- Threw our first-ever Words & Wine fundraiser which netted nearly $2000
- Partnered with The Bridge, Piedmont Council of the Arts, Olio, Secretly Y’all, Southwood Community Center, and The Virginia Festival of the Book
- Received a grant from the Virginia Commission for the Arts
We have much more planned for 2011, but classes, memberships, and other fundraisers provide only about two thirds of the money we need to keep the doors open, leaving about $20,000 to be made up in donations. If you’ve already made a contribution, thank you. If you haven’t, please make one now. In an organization our size, you don’t need a fat checkbook to be a major donor. For $200, we’ll put you on the major donors list and send you a free book of your choice from THIS LIST. Even $5 or $10—the price of a few coffees or a Bodo’s lunch—makes a difference.
Donate online using PayPal, leave your donation at the front desk during open hours, or mail your check to:
PO Box 222
Charlottesville, VA 22902
WriterHouse is a 501(c)3 organization, so your donations are tax-deductible.
Best wishes for the New Year,
The Board of WriterHouse
Christy Strick, Rachel Unkefer, Elizabeth McCullough, Catherine Crittenden, Gale Martin, Kristen-Paige Madonia, Diana Strickler, and Hope Mills Voelkel.
Filed under: art, authors, awards, books, charlottesville, publishing, virginia, workshops & classes, writing | Tagged: NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month, WriterHouse, Writers Resources, writing classes |